From the President
Our Cessna 152 BUD is back and to all accounts is running very nicely. ETZ, KAS & BUD have now got club logo's on the tail and are looking smart.
There are a number of aviation events coming up over the next couple of months. If you are going to one or more of these events and have spare seats let me know as we we have members looking for rides.
If you want a ride to one of these events also get in touch as we can join you all up and have full planes.
A large number of members are going to Omaka for the Healthy Bastard Bush Pilot competition on the 6th February. It is a great spectacle as well as the opportunity to meet fellow aviation enthusiasts from other parts of the country.
Due to the numbers going to Omaka it has been decided to postpone this Friday nights Build your own Burger night.
On Friday the 22nd of January we celebrated the achievements of our members who have passed significant milestones in their aviation endeavours. It was great to congratulate these members and gain some insight into how they have succeeded and the methods they chose to navigate their journey.
Summer is well and truly here so take the chance enjoy time with your family and friends and if the weather holds take the time to go cross country and view some of our wonderful scenery.
Just a reminder to all members: We all have to get authorisation before we can take a club aircraft flying.
Stay safe and enjoy your flying.
From the CFI
We've had a great start to 2021. There have been four trial flights over the past month, and the beautiful calm evenings have allowed for regular night training.
Welcome to our two new instructors, Marc Icaro (B Cat) and Andrew Jones (B Cat). Andrew will start in the next 2 weeks. I am also now qualified for Mountain and Terrain Awareness Flying and will be available to instruct this for PPLs.
Please note: if you wish to cancel a booking in the VOR system, ensure you do so as soon as possible so another person can take up the slot.
Finally. don't forget to obtain Instructor Authorisation for every flight. This is how the club accounts for where an aircraft is at any time and ensures our members are operating within club guidelines.
Tom van Rooyen
From the Front Office...
- A reminder from Anna that ALL flights need to be authorised by an instructor.
- Because of the Healthy Bastards Fly-In to Blenheim this coming weekend, the clubrooms will be closed on Friday night, 5 February. Burger Nights will resume on Friday 12 February.
- Looking for flying ideas? Suggest to friends they take a Trial Flight. Birthdays coming up? - get a group of friends to buy a voucher ($150-$300). Check the AFC website or ring the office (weekdays 9am-3pm) on (09) 298-4747.
- We are still looking for members to support the committee for various activities. Groups supporting Social, Maintenance and taking the'Young Eagles' youth group would be greatly appreciated. This will also help to ease the committee's load. It's a great chance to get to know others in the club and to give something back. Please contact Anna in the office if you can help.
- The Healthy Bastards Fly-In event is this Saturday, Feb 6 at Omaka.
- Have you made any plans for Waitangi Weekend yet? Some flying perhaps? Get in while the weather holds!
About AFC Office Attendance
The club has recently sought to improve our daytime accessibility for the convenience of members and visitors. We now have a new office lady, Anna Duncan, who opens the club office every weekday from 9am to 3pm. During these hours Anna will efficiently deal with your enquiries and/or bookings etc. After 3pm, calls will be answered by the regular instructors or if they are out flying, please leave a message on the answerphone service. Messages left will be attended by Anna next day or at the first opportunity by an instructor. On weekends, calls will be taken by an instructor or if no answer, you can leave a message for Anna to hear on Monday. If you have an urgent query that can't wait, you can try Dennis on 0274 521 623 or Tom - CFI, on 021 0842 6429.
This weeks YouTube Feature...
THRILLS AT AN INTERNATIONAL AIR RACE
WW1-Ace Ernst Udet, performs a low level display in his U-12 Flamingo wooden bi-plane, doing a dead-stick loop at 300 feet and side-slipping spectacularly with a strong crosswind to land dead centre on a narrow road, Filmed during the 1931 Cleveland National Air Races.
Heydon Zuill for his PPL Night Rating.
Considerable cloudiness. 25c - 27c. Wind 6-11kn from 168 SSE UV 8 (Very High) Sunshine hours 2.6Sunday
Considerable cloudiness. 25c - 27c. Wind 6-11kn from 168 SSE UV 8 (Very High) Sunshine hours 2.6
Build your Own burger night
Will be back on from the 12th of Feb see you all there.
World-famous at Ardmore are our Friday BURGER NIGHTS. These have started again, piloted by Captain Frying Dennis on the BBQ flight deck, while John 'Bar-None' Geary will have the bar open from 5pm. Orders for burgers are taken at 7pm and payment ($10 or by eftpos) must be made before you leave the building
- Healthy Bastards Bush Pilot Champs, Omaka, 6th February
- Girls in Cubs, Raglan Airfield, 6th March
- Wings Over Wairarapa Air Show, 26-28th February